Makes 7 individual puddings, 20 minutes preparation, 1 hour 15 minutes cooking
A real family favourite pudding, this sweet sticky toffee treat is best served with a dollop of ice-cream or extra thick double cream.
- 590ml double cream
- 235g sugar
- 115g golden syrup
- 170g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing the tin
- 170g dates, pitted
- 235g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, kept separate
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 175g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- 7 ramekins to cook the puddings in
- Ice cream or extra double cream, for serving
To make the sauce:
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine 295g of the double cream, all the sugar, golden syrup and butter. Cook, stirring often, until a dark amber colour – this will take about 40 minutes. Carefully add the remaining doubole cream at this stage and stir well.
To make the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/175 celcius/gas mark 4. Grease the seven ramekins with the extra butter and set aside.
- Combine the dates and 175ml water in a small saucepan and cook until the dates are softened, this will take about 15 minutes. Drain the dates then puree in a blender and cool. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, egg, zest and date puree to the bowl and mix briefly. Stir in the dry ingredients thoroughly until everything is combined. Divide the mixture into the prepared ramekins and bake about 20 minutes.
- Allow the cakes to cool slightly then remove them from the ramekins. Slice the cakes in half horizontally. Rinse out the ramekins. Pour a little toffee sauce in the bottom of each ramekin and place bottom layer of each cake onto the toffee sauce. Add more toffee sauce onto the bottom half then place the top cake layer on top and cover with more sauce. Pop the cakes back into the oven for 5-10 minutes to heat through before serving. To serve carefully tip the cakes out into bowls and cover with more hot toffee sauce and a dollop of ice cream of extra thick double cream.