Makes 12, 2 hours Preparation, 30 minutes Baking
Plain, buttered or with jam, these sticky Hot Cross Buns are a real Easter treat!
For the Buns:
- 450g plain flour, and extra for dusting
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tbsp mixed spice (such as including cinnaomon)
- 50g butter
- 100g currants
- 7g sachet of dried yeast
- 100ml warm water
- 100ml warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Cross decoration:
- 100g plain flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, salt, cinnamon and mixed spice
- Add the butter and rub together to produce loose breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the currants and yeast, pouring in the milk and water and then stirring to form a sticky dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured flat surface until it becomes smooth and stretchy.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave to prove (rise) for an hour until the dough is twice its size.
- Once it has risen, knead again for 5 minutes. Then slice the dough into12 pieces and roll with your hands into balls.
- Place these onto greased baking trays, cover with the damp cloth and leave to rise again for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- To make the Cross decoration, mix the flour and water into a paste and place into a piping bag.
- Apply the beaten egg to the buns and then and apply the flour paste to the top of the buns in a X shape.
- Place the trays of buns into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Once cooked place on a wire rack and allow to cool. Then Serve plain or toasted with jam or butter.