Serves 5-6, 20 minutes preparation, 1 day cooling
A Trifle is a truly classic pud consisting of sweet layers of cream, sponge, custard and fruit that is great for a big family meal or a special occasion.
- 2 packets of jelly (1 must be strawberry or raspberry but the other can be any flavour)
- 1 medium sized tub of custard/1 tin of custard
- 1 tin of mixed fruit cocktail in syrup, drained
- 2 jam swiss rolls
- 1 pot of whipping cream
- Dissolve the strawberry or raspberry jelly packets in a large bowl or jug in 250ml of boiling water then make up to 1 pint of cold water – this will help it set more quickly. Next, add half of the drained fruit cocktail to the jelly mixture.
- Repeat the above step with the other jelly flavour then pour the jelly and fruit mixture into a large, flat bowl.
- Chop the 2 swiss rolls in to little pieces and mash up gently to cover bottom of dish you will be serving in.
- Pour the raspberry or strawberry jelly with fruit in on top of the swiss roll and put in fridge until set – this may take 4-6 hours. Also put the bowl of the other jelly and fruit mixture in the fridge to set.
- After both jellies have completely set, take the bowls out of the fridge. Gently mash up the jelly that is not on top of the swiss roll.
- Spread the tub/tinned custard evenly on top of jelly that is set on top of the swiss roll.
- Next, add the mashed jelly on top of the custard. Whip the whipping cream until nice and thick then spread on top of the trifle. If you want you can add sprinkles on top of that before serving.