- 900g/2lb self-raising flour
- 450g/1lb demerara sugar
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 225g/8oz butter
- 450g/1lb golden syrup
- 4 free-range eggs
- 800ml/1 pint 8fl oz milk
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Grease and line six square 22cm/8in tins.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl of a large mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and add the sugar, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Mix well with a spoon.
- Place the butter and syrup in a pan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Put the eggs and milk into a jug and beat together until well combined.
- Gradually pour the butter and syrup into the flour and mix, then add the egg and milk mixture and beat until the mixture is smooth. Pour into the lined tins.
- Place in the oven for one hour or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the parkin.