Serves 4, 10 minutes preparation, 30 minutes cookingA super-fast super healthy meal, our delicious chicken and chickpea pilau is made in just one pot so the washing-up is really easy too!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skin removed and trimmed of fat
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chickpeas in water, drained and rinsed
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 200g easy-cook brown rice
- 450ml chicken stock
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- Heat a large, lidded frying pan or flameproof casserole and add the oil. Fry the chicken thighs for 2 mins, turning halfway through cooking, until lightly coloured, then lift out onto a plate and set aside. Add the leeks to the pan and stir-fry for 3 mins, then add the garlic and tip in the chickpeas, most of the lemon zest and rice. Stir together until well mixed and fry gently to infuse the flavours.
- Nestle the chicken in the rice mix then pour over the hot stock and season lightly – mostly with pepper as there is salt in the stock already. Cover and cook on a low heat for 20 mins until the chicken is nearly cooked through and the rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid. Sit the broccoli on top of the rice, cover and continue to cook until the rice and broccoli are tender and the chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest to serve.