Serves 4, 25 minutes preparation
This simple but flavoursome Lebanese salad is packed full of fresh herbs and is great by itself for lunch or a side dish with fish or chicken.
- 25g/1oz bulgur wheat
- 2 large tomatoes
- Large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves only, finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Ground sea salt
- 4 Flatbreads to serve
- Place the bulgur wheat into a small bowl and cover with 50ml/2fl oz of boiling water. Stir, then set aside for 20 minutes, or until the bulgur wheat has absorbed all of the water.
- Cut out the green stalks from the tomatoes and make a small cross at each of the bases. Place the tomatoes into a separate bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 30 seconds, and then drain away the water.
- When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skins. Cut the tomatoes into quarters, discard the seeds and dice the flesh. Transfer the diced tomatoes to a serving bowl.
- Add the parsley, mint and onion to the tomatoes and mix well until combined.
- When the bulgur wheat has absorbed all of the water, fluff it using a fork until the grains are separated. Add the bulgur wheat to the tomato mixture.
- Drizzle over the lemon juice and olive oil and season, to taste, with salt. Mix well to coat the ingredients in the liquid.
- To serve, divide the tabbouleh equally among four serving plates. Place one grilled flatbread alongside each.