Serves 5, 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking
This is a wholesome lunchbox meal and perfect for a picnic basket but is equally tasty for a fresh evening meal. It is so easy to prepare and you can add your family’s favourite vegetables to the salad to satisfy everyone around the table.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 400g of your favourite pasta
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50g cheese – feta, mozzarella and grated cheddar work well
- 50g chopped cucumber
- Add 2-3 of the following ingredients to make the salad to your taste preferences: 4 thinly sliced spring onions; 50g chopped yellow pepper; 50g chopped cherry tomatoes; 50g rocket or fresh spinach; 50g tinned sweetcorn
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. While the oil is heating up rub pepper and sea salt evenly into the chicken breasts. Remember to wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan whole, turn them every now and again to ensure that the meat is sealed properly. Then add the lemon juice, cover with tin foil or a large lid and place into the oven until cooked - for around 10-15 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking pop the pasta into a pan of boiling, slightly salted water. Stir occasionally and remember to keep an eye on the chicken and turn occasionally.
- Drain the pasta when cooked - try to avoid overcooking it and it going soggy. When drained return to the pan and stir in all of the chopped salad vegetables before crumbling in your chosen cheese.
- Transfer the pasta salad to bowls. Remove the golden chicken breasts from the pan and tear them using a fork. Place the chicken on top of the salad and, drizzle with a little olive oil to taste.