Serves 2-4, 5 minutes preparation, 15 minutes cooking
Take cheese on toast to another level with our super simple Welsh Rarebit recipe that is full or flavoursome melting cheese.
- 50g/2oz flour
- 50g/2oz butter
- 250ml/9oz strong beer, warmed
- 250g/9oz strong cheddar, grated
- 2tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- 4 large slices granary bread
- In a small saucepan melt the butter then add the flour to the pan and stir together – this is called a roux. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning. Stir in the warm beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce, stirring constantly. Add the grated cheese to the pan and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste. Mix in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce and season well with black pepper.
- Lightly toast and butter the bread, then pile up the cheesy mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling then serve.