Serves 12, 30 minutes preparation, 30 minutes cooking
Packed full of the Italian flavours of pesto, olives and cheese our tear and share bread is perfect for a gathering and is so easy to make.
For the dough:
- 500g packet white bread mix
- 2tbsp olive oil
For the filling:
- 140g green pesto
- 1/2 x 250g packet grated mozzarella
- 50g Parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated
- 50g black olives, sliced
- 50g green olives, sliced
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained weight, chopped
- Make up the dough mix, following the directions on the pack but add the olive oil at the same time as the recommended amount of water. Knead the dough for 5-10 mins until it's elastic.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle about 25 x 35cm (10 x 14in) on a lightly floured surface.
- Leaving one of the long edges clear of filling, spread the pesto over the dough. Scatter over the cheeses, olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Brush water along the clear edge, and then roll up the dough towards the clear edge, pressing well over the join to seal.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces. Place them on their sides, so you can see the spiral shapes and place them fairly close together on the baking sheet, in a rectangle of 4 x 3 rows.
- Cover the bread with a piece of oiled cling film or a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 30 mins-1 hour or until doubled in size and the rolls have joined together. This could be on top of the oven whilst it heats up or in your airing cupboard.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Remove the cling film or towel from the dough. When the oven is hot, place the baking sheet in the centre and bake the dough for 20-30 mins, or until it's an even golden colour and firm to the touch. Slide on to a wire rack to cool slightly. It is best served on the day of making and a little warm – yum!