SERVES 4-6, 30 MINUTES PREPARATION, 45 MINUTES COOKING
Sometimes week-night kids’ mealtimes can be a battle, but fear not! This family favourite has received a fun twist, transforming fish fingers and veg into a dish your kids will be sure to love.
For the Filling:
- 12 breaded Birds Eye Fish Fingers
- 1 large Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large can of Heinz baked beans or 150g peas (these can be swapped and the other served alongside)
For the Mashed Potato topping:
- 4 large Baking Potatoes, peeled and chopped into quarters
- 100ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Clover spread
- Sprinkle of Salt and Pepper seasoning
- 100g grated Cheese sprinkled on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- For the mashed potato, bring a pan of salted water to the boil then add the peeled and chopped potatoes. Cook for 30 minutes until softened and completely cooked through.
- After 15 minutes of cooking the potatoes, place the fish fingers on a baking tray and cook in the oven as per the pack cooking instructions and until the breadcrumbs have turned crispy.
- In a small saucepan heat the baked beans until gently bubbling.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and fry the diced onions for 5 minutes until softened.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and mash together with the milk, butter and salt and pepper until smooth, creamy and lump-free.
- Place the cooked fish fingers into a large oven-proof baking dish, either whole or chopped, and pour on top the baked beans.
- Spoon the mash on top, covering all of the meat. For a delicious crunch add the grated cheese to the top of the mash.
- Drag a fork along the top of the mash, making lines that will go lightly golden brown during cooking. For extra fun for the kids, shapes and words can be made in the mash, so invite them to add their own design.
- Bake in the pre-heated over for 15 minutes, until the Fish Finger Pie is golden on top.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of Heinz ketchup and peas, carrots or another of your kids ‘favourite’ veg!