Serves 4, 1 hour 15 minutes cooking
Our one pot sausage and apple cobbler recipe is ideal for a warming family dinner and is a simple and tasty alternative to a traditional Roast Dinner.
- 450g British pork sausages
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 2 apples
- 1/2 litre apple juice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100g self-raising flour (plus extra for coating the veg)
- 25g butter
- Splash or two of milk
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4.
- Grill the pork sausages until browned. Place in a casserole dish.
- Peel and slice the cored apples, carrots and onion, and chop the leek and celery. Toss the veg in a little self-raising flour until coated then add to the sausages. Make 250ml vegetable stock, using 1 stock cube, and stir in ? litre apple juice. Pour the stock over the sausages and veg, then bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cobbler topping by rubbing the butter into the self-raising flour with a sprinkling of salt, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add a little milk until the mixture forms a soft dough. Shape into small, slightly squashed balls.
- Once the casserole has baked for 45 minutes, take out of the oven and top with the balls. Bake for a further 30 minutes and serve immediately.