Serves 4, 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking
Our Bolognese recipe is quick, easy and is delicious served with your favourite pasta. In just 30 minutes you will have a scrumptious dinner on the table that will satisfy the whole family.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 500g Beef Mince – use Quorn mince for a meat-free alternative that is just as tasty
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- ½ pepper any colour, finely chopped (optional)
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 250ml beef stock (cubes are fine to use)
- 4tsps Worcestershire Sauce
- 2tbsp tomato puree; 2tsps dried mixed herbs (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 400g dried spaghetti/penne/fusilli
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan over a medium to high heat and add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery (optional). Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the mince and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- For a twist on the traditional recipe, add in the peppers and/or mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, Worcestershire Sauce and stock. Stir well and season to taste then bring the mixture to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the mince is tender.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil then add the dried pasta of your choice and cook as per the packet’s instructions (usually for between 8-12 minutes).
- Once the pasta is cooked, serve into bowls and top with the Bolognese sauce and for a delicious addition top with grated cheese (cheddar is a great alternative if you don’t have parmesan).
- Serve with hot-from-the-oven garlic bread for a real treat.