Serves 6, 15 minutes Preparation, 30 minutes Cooking
Eton Mess is excellent fun to make, and can get a little messy. Get your kids to help you break the Meringue, they’ll love helping, and the extra taste of strawberries and cream will be popular with them too!
Ingredients:For the Meringues:
- 5 separated Egg Whites
- 200g Caster Sugar
- Drop of Vinegar
- 200ml Double Cream
- 400g Strawberries
- To make the Meringues, in a large mixing bowl whisk the Egg Whites until the mixture whitens and stiff peaks can be made with the whisk.
- Add a drop of Vinegar. This will make the meringue crunchy outside but fluffy inside.
- Add a tablespoon of Sugar at a time, continuing to whisk until the meringue is thick, white and glossy.
- Carefully spoon or pipe the Meringue mixture in any size and for as many as you like, onto a baking tray covered in greaseproof paper.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes until the meringues turns a very light golden colour. If necessary, cover the edge of the crust with foil to prevent burning or over-browning.
- Once cooked, allow to cool then carefully break the Meringues into pieces, and set these aside.
- To make the Eton Mess, slice the fresh strawberries and remove the stalks.
- In a large mixing bowl whip the cream by hand or using a food mixer until soft peaks form.
- In tall, clear glasses spoon a few scoops of meringue, then whipped cream, then strawberries, alternating these to form clear layers.
- Serve and enjoy!