Serves 2, 10 minutes preparation, 25 minutes cooking
Try this cheap and tasty sweet potato curry – it is a great meat-free alternative to a traditional chicken curry. Light, colourful and packed full of flavour it’s perfect for a hungry crowd.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (any colour)
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 100g red or green lentils, or a mixture
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- ¼ small pack coriander (optional)
- Natural yogurt and naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for a few mins until softened. Add the spices and cook for 1 min more, then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, stock and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add the chickpeas, then heat through.
- Season, sprinkle with coriander, if you like, and serve with seasoned yogurt and naan bread.