Serves 4, 15 minutes preparation, 20 minutes cooking
After carving pumpkins for Halloween this is a great way to use up the flesh from the inside! A great winter warmer meal for any night of the week and perfect served with crusty bread.
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 250g peeled and diced pumpkin
- 100g carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp peeled and grated root ginger or ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Creme fraiche, to garnish – optional
- In a large saucepan melt the butter and fry onion until translucent then add the pumpkin and carrots.
- Dust the mixture with flour, this will help thicken the soup, and brown for a few minutes whilst stirring constantly then pour in stock and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes stirring often, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in ginger, curry powder, coriander, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour soup into a blender and process until smooth. Serve with a dollop of cream fraiche and some crusty bread.