Makes 8, 10 minutes prep, 15-20 minutes cooking
Our tasty Sausage rolls are a great addition to any lunchbox and are perfect for a picnic with the kids. The best thing about making them yourself is you know exactly what goes into them so you can enjoy (almost!) guilt-free eating!
- 225g ready made puff pastry
- 225g sausage meat
- 50g finely chopped button mushrooms, optional
- 15g butter
- 2tsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp Tabasco sauce, optional
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, whisked to use as egg wash
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- If you are including the mushrooms, melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the finely chopped mushrooms for around 5 minutes until soft. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce (optional), dried mixed herbs and sausage meat and season with salt and black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the puff pastry out into a large rectangle and then cut into two long rectangles.
- Using two desert spoons place a layer of sausage meat mixture down the side of each pastry rectangle, then brush each with beaten egg on one edge.
- Roll the other side of the pastry over the top of the sausage meat and down onto the egg-washed edge. Press down on the edges to seal well and trim any excess. Cut each pastry roll into 8-10 small sausage rolls.
- Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray and transfer to the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and golden and the sausage meat is completely cooked through.