- 125g/4oz dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 120ml/4fl oz olive oil
- Peeled carrot or cucumber sticks to serve
- Drain the chickpeas and put in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil until tender this can take 60 minutes or more depending on the age of the chickpeas. Don't add any salt to the water or the chickpeas will not soften.
- Drain and cool. Put in a food processor with the garlic, lemon juice and zest, tahini and salt. Whiz together and pour in the olive oil as the motor is still running.
- You want a smooth dip, so if necessary add some cold water, still with the motor running, until you get the consistency you want. Taste for flavour and if it tastes bland, add more salt.
- Serve with hot pitta bread, vegetable crudités (peeled carrot and cucumber sticks) or with jacket potatoes.